Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wake Up Call

This absolutely drives me nuts. I am clinging on to the little sleep I manage to get these days when I sort of hear a phone ringing. About 4 rings in, I realize... yes... that it is in fact my phone ringing ... I'm not dreaming. But why would I jump out of bed now that it is ringing for the fifth time?

But does it stop ringing? No! It continues to ring 4 more times. Thoughts start to go through my drowsy mind like "is it an emergency?, maybe someone knows my sleeping schedule and is desperately trying to wake me up? Maybe I won free tickets? Maybe it is a long lost friend? I should get up just in case!" So I dash out of bed and half run to the phone. I grab the receiver and scratch out a "hello" just after it rings for the 10th time.

And? No response. Nothing ... just silence. I am irritated. So I *69 AND 411 this unknown number -- no records found. My best guess is its was a telemarketer who just destroyed another good dream.

The worst part is this has happened now 4 times in the last 6 weeks and I still get up every time.

2 comments:

Raymondo said...

These are usually automated dialing telemarketers that, when you answer, take a few seconds for a recording to kick in or to have an operator respond. If the operator is busy with another call, they ignore you and call again later at their convenience. Why they think they can convince people to buy something or create anything but ill-will with these techniques is one of the mysteries of life. Somewhere, I think this is illegal, but don't bother yourself with trying to report it. The only way they will stop is when their efforts yield no results. It is likely that they are originating from many time-zones away.

Meg said...

I have a phone that 'zaps' automated telemarketing calls. It rocks. How it works, i haven't a clue.

Also, I used to have an unlisted number, greatly reducing the number of telemarketing calls I recieved. Also rocked.